FAFSA Verification Page
2013-2014 FAFSA Verification Introduction
The FAFSA Verification Process is to confirm the information a student provided on the FAFSA application- Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
Students are either selected for Verification randomly or because their FAFSA application data was incomplete, estimated, or inconsistent. The U.S. Department of Education selects some students for the verification process and CTC will select others if we find conflicting information.
We are required to ask you to provide documentation to confirm the information on your FAFSA. This will include a verification worksheet, tax transcript, and W-2 forms. If you are a dependent student, we may also request a copy of your parent's tax transcript.
Changes for the 2013-14 Academic Year:
When verifying your 2013-14 FAFSA, we are no longer allowed to accept a student signed copy of a 1040 tax return form to complete the verification process. This is a federal regulation that we must follow.
To document your tax return, you may:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer 2012 tax data to your FAFSA , OR
- Request an IRS Tax Transcript
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students and parents may transfer the data directly into their FAFSA.
If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:
- It’s the easiest way to provide your tax data.
- It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- You won’t need to provide a copy of your or your parents’ tax returns to your college.
If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to provide tax information and your college requests a copy of your tax return or your parents’ tax return, you may be required to obtain an official tax transcript from the IRS.
How the student IRS Data Retrieval Tool works (Link to the FAFSA.GOV Website)
How the parent IRS Data Retrieval Tool works (Link to the FAFSA.GOV Website)
If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you filed your 2013-14 FAFSA, you may still do so.
1. Login at fafsa.gov to “Make FAFSA Corrections”
2. On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS’”
3. On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
Under certain conditions, students are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, which allows users to link to the IRS Web site and securely transfer IRS tax return information into their FAFSA. If you meet any of these conditions, you will not be presented with the option to link to the IRS.
You will be unable to use IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- Your marital status changed after December 31, 2012.
- You filed an amended return (See Tax Transcript below).
- You filed married filing separately.
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN).
- You filed a foreign tax return - Submit a signed student copy of your return to the financial aid office.
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return.
Note: Tax information electronically filed within the last 2 weeks or submitted by mail within the last 8 weeks may not be available.
IRS Tax Transcript
If you are selected for verification of your 2013-14 FAFSA, and are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must submit an official IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT, (not an Account Transcript.) There are 3 ways to do this:
- Request one electronically on the IRS website at www.irs.gov
- In the Tools section of the homepage click “Order a Return or Account Transcript”
- Under Choice 3 “Go get your transcript” Click “Order a Transcript”.
- Then select "Return Transcript"
- Or you may call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts to request a Tax Transcript for 2012
- Or you may file Form 4506T-EZ
If you filed an Amended Return:
- Submit both an IRS Tax "Return Transcript" and an IRS Tax "Account Transcript," OR
- Submit the Record of Account, (using IRS Form 4506-T), which could take 30 days
REMEMBER: Write your student ID number or SSN on your tax transcript and sign it before you submit it to our office.
Filed Taxes for 2012 as a Dependent? Fill out the Dependent Verification Packet!
Filed Taxes for 2012 as an Independent? Fill out the Independent Verification Packet!
The Verification Deadline
For the 2013-2014 academic year, students are strongly encouraged to submit all requested documentation by July 3, 2013 in order to receive a timely award with all possible funding.
The verification review process can range from 2 - 6 weeks. Submit copies of the requested documentation within 14 days of the request. The last date to submit verification documents is the last day of the term or your last day of enrollment in the academic year, whichever is earlier.
- Federal Pell Grant Recipients: The deadline for is 120 days from your last date of enrollment or August 15, 2014 whichever comes first. This includes making any necessary corrections to the FAFSA, submitting those corrections to the federal processor, and receiving confirmation in return.
- Federal Loan Applicants: CTC requires verification to occur before determining eligibility for student loans. A federal loan application cannot be originated for a period of enrollment that has already passed.
Failure to submit all requested documentation will result in the forfeiture of your financial aid eligibility.
How to Avoid Verification Processing Delays
We strongly recommend that student submit all documents after filing for the FASFA but before even receiving the verification notice (OPTIONAL). Alternatively, if a student wants to wait until verification is determined; the student should submit these documents within a 14 day timeframe.
Submit all documents at the same time to:
Rhine Ordnance Barracks - Unit 23152
Financial Aid / Business Office
APO AE 09054
CIV: +49 (0)6371-4683-121
FAX: +49 (0)6371-4683-201
Calling from the U.S.: 01149-6371-4683-121
Faxing from the U.S.: 01149-6371-4683-201
- Remember to make photocopies for your records.
- Partial documents will be rejected back to the student. All of the requested verification documents need to be submitted at the same time.
- If the data reported on your FAFSA is confirmed, the Financial Aid Office can determine your eligibility for financial aid. We will notify you to check your financial aid eligibility on CTC WebAdvisor.
- If we find differences between the data reported on your FAFSA and the information that you submitted to us, we may make corrections to your FAFSA. You can monitor your FAFSA verification status on CTC WebAdvisor.